Lower Merion Township is a township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania and part of the Philadelphia Main Line.
Lower Merion Township was first settled in 1682 by Welsh Quakers who were granted a tract of land (the Welsh Tract) by William Penn. In 1713, Lower Merion was established as an independent Township with about 52 landholders and tenants. In 1900, the Township was incorporated as a Township of the First Class. Lower Merion is home to the oldest continuously used place of worship in the United States, the Merion Friends Meeting House, used continuously since 1695. The Mill Creek Historic District, and Seville Theatre are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Green Hill Farms was added in 2011.
Pupils living in the Lower Merion Township attend schools in the Lower Merion School District unless they go to a private school. The educational roots of the township stretch back to the Lower Merion Academy, one of the first public schools in the country.
There are six elementary schools, two middle schools, and two high schools (Lower Merion and Harriton High Schools).
Rosemont School of the Holy Child, located in Rosemont and in Lower Merion Township, adjacent to Rosemont College.
Private schools in the area include: the Shipley School, the Baldwin School, Waldron Mercy Academy, the Haverford School, the Agnes Irwin School, Friends Central School, French International School of Philadelphia, Kohelet Yeshiva High School and other schools outside the area.
Bryn Mawr College, Harcum College, Rosemont College, and St. Charles Borromeo Seminary are located in Lower Merion Township. The campus of Saint Joseph’s University straddles the city line between Lower Merion and Philadelphia while Haverford College straddles the lines between Lower Merion and Haverford Townships.