Wayne is the largest of the communities along suburban Philadelphia’s prestigious Main Line region.
Founded in the late 1800’s by banker A.J. Drexel and newspaper editior G.W. Childs, self-described ‘liberal gentleman of abundant means’, Wayne is one of Pennsylvania’s oldest planned communities.
The suburban village was purposefully designed to avoid haphazard growth as it’s population increased, offering conveniences similar to those of a large city. To this day, residents of Wayne enjoy easy access to many upscale, downtown ammenities including boutique retailers, chic restaurants, farmer’s markets and and historic attractions.
Wayne is convenient to most of the area’s commuter routes. Travel time to Philadelphia is approximately 30 minutes via train.
Pupils in the Radnor Township portion of Wayne attend schools in Radnor Township School District, while pupils in the Tredyffrin portion attend schools in Tredyffrin/Easttown School District. Those in the northeastern portion of the community in Upper Merion Township attend the Upper Merion Area School District.
Students in Radnor Township attend Radnor High School. Students in Tredyffrin Township attend Conestoga High School. Students in Upper Merion Township attend Upper Merion Area High School.
The St. Katharine of Siena School is a Catholic K-8 grade school located in downtown Wayne operated by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Catholic students who live in Radnor Township as well as other towns in the Delaware Valley may choose to attend Archbishop John Carroll High School, located in the nearby community of Radnor.
Many private schools are also located nearby including the Quaker-affiliated Shipley School, all-boys Haverford School and all-girls Agnes Irwin School, all located east of Wayne on or near Lancaster Avenue. The Valley Forge Military Academy and College is also located in Wayne.