Helping Elderly Parents Downsize
Are you ready for the daunting task of speaking to your parents about downsizing? The thought of approaching this sensitive topic can make you feel apprehensive, but sometimes waiting can make the conversation even more difficult.
It is understandable that they themselves may feel apprehensive, and sometimes even frightened. If you familiarize yourself with the signs to help you determine when your parent should downsize, it can help you and them to come up with a solid plan to make the next chapter of their life a happier one with less pressure on you.
My name is Scott Furman. I am a Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) and have been helping seniors and their families for over 43 years through the downsizing, selling and/or buyer process. Some of the signs that previous clients have mentioned can be anything from being lonely or bored, to having the inability to keep up with housework.
Signs That It May Be Time for Your Parent to Downsize
- They may be bored or lonely. Sometimes a lack of activities and visitors can cause sadness or even depression. Additionally, when everyone is grown and moved out of the house, your parent may experience empty nest syndrome with a sense of loneliness. Some seniors are often good at hiding their grief since they do not want to worry anyone. Downsizing can help by moving to a location that may be closer to friends and family, or to a community where socialization is sometimes better than being a teenager!
- Rooms sitting empty. With the rising energy costs and increasing costs of other utilities, it can be frustrating to waste money with unused square footage. Downsizing can help save money on not just rising utility costs, but also maintenance costs and the potential of deferred maintenance.
- Moving into retirement. A parent will most likely want to spread out their savings as long as possible to truly enjoy their golden years. Who wouldn’t? Downsizing is great way to lessen expenses and move into a property that requires less maintenance.
- Struggling with chores. Everyday chores from light cleaning to yardwork can become very difficult and overwhelming. Downsizing can help bring back confidence since maintenance on a smaller and potentially newer home can be much easier. If they enjoy yardwork, consider a community with a gardening club or a first-floor condo that gives an owner the ability to landscape around their unit on a much smaller scale than a large home.
- Depleting health and strength. This is always the elephant in room and the most difficult topic for both a parent and child. But the bottom line is the importance of their safety, and they need to know that if anything were to happen, it would have an impact on all of their loved ones for years to come. Many tasks can become troublesome and even dangerous. Downsizing to a single-level, smaller home may help your parent to maintain their independence longer. Plus, it will greatly help reduce the worry of their loved ones.
Once your parents have made the difficult decision to downsize, I would love the opportunity to meet with them. I have helped 100’s of families through this process and can offer my decades of knowledge and experience to help customize a strategic plan from decluttering to prepping the home for sale in the most efficient, and less overwhelming way. Plus, making it a profitable and pleasurable experience for your parent.
As A Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES), I have:
- Extensive experience and a knowledge base that comes from over 43 years of success through the downsizing, selling and/or buying process providing expertise and building trust and life-long client relationships.
- An exceptional customer care team that is caring and focused on providing each and every client with best-in-class service to take the guesswork out of an overwhelming process and guide them through step by step.
- Network of trusted professionals geared specifically toward seniors and their needs that save time and make the process easy. This includes downsizing and cleanout services, helping in the de-cluttering process, content removal, charitable donations, maintenance, repair services, and so much more.
- Senior Real Estate Specialist Accreditation, I have completed exclusive training on a wide range of issues that can impact real estate transaction for the 50+ client community with a steadfast goal – a positive outcome for every sale, purchase, and interaction with and on behalf of my clients.
I take great pride in what I do and promise to take the upmost care of your parents and treat them as if they were my own. I would love to speak with you and would welcome a conversation. Please feel free to reach out.
Take the guesswork out of downsizing and the stress off your plate. Call me today at 610-687-2962 or complete the contact form below and let me know a good time to reach you.
Dont Miss Our FREE, No Obligation Seminars (Lunch will be Provided)
- September 21st, 2022 – Downsizing Made Simple with local expert, Charlene Arnold of The Perfect Plan, Inc. LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS EVENT AND RSVP!
- Coming in Early November of 2022 – Protecting You and Your Loved One from Cyber Crime. MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW.
Check out these links for more information.
1. Meet Scott Furman – Your Main Line Senior Specialist
2. Get a Free Estimated Home Evaluation
3. How to Recognize the Signs that a Parent is Ready to Downsize
4. Downsizing and Cleanout Help
5. Helpful Resources for Seniors in Pennsylvania
6. Adding an Elevator to Age in Place
- Scott Helps Mark and Alice Sell Alice’s Parents Home From 500 Miles Away
- Scott Helps Margaret and Steve Downsize from Their Large Bryn Mawr Home to a Townhouse
- Scott Helps Two Sisters (Olive and Dodi) Sell Their Wayne Home and Move Into A Retirement Home
- Scott Furman Makes Downsizing a Whole Lot Easier for This Pheonixville Couple